Friday, December 7, 2007

To Colin White Muller

I will never forget when he told me why did I wear such terrible colors (An orange sweater)or when he told me 'quite right, little fellow, quite right' (while talking about Keats's ideal in his feyanceé). Or when he told us that it would be dangerous if we did not agree with him. Also when we read Keats, his favorite, that was one of the best classes I have ever been. We will miss you, although you would not miss me.
He read this in the class and ask me if I liked it. And God! How I like it!

'Thou art no poet, mayst not tell thy dreams?'
Since every man whose soul is not a clod
Hath visions, and would speak, if he had loved,
And been well nurtures in his mother tongue.
Whether the dream now purposed to rehearse
Be Poet's or Fanatic's will be known
When this warm scribe my hand is in the grave.

Keats, John."The Fall of Hyperion a Dream" in Selected Poems.Penguin Classics: London. 1998.

You can found another great account by a friend who also took memorable clases with this briliant man. You are also quite right Antonio. Quite right. http://nousoacentos.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Diana said...

En verdad que su pérdida ha sido un golpe fuerte para todos. Pero creo que debemos sentirnos más que afortunados de haber tenido la oportunidad de haber conocido a un hombre como él. Te mando un gran abrazo.

Jorge Hernández Jiménez said...

*sigh* little fellow. . .

Forrester said...

I admit toenvy you for hearing him recite Keats.