Friday, April 4, 2008

On Mexican Weekdays Football


I was completely thrilled and shocked by the result at the Copa Libertadores: América 4-3 River Plate. Wednesday night, after sharing some movie time with one of my best friends I returned to my house with the only prospect of finish Great Expectations. Although this seemed a tough task I was determined to get as far as I could although The Remains of the Day had kept me busy. Although my current week quota was covered I was completely reluctant of watching this game. But uh! Suddenly the TV turn on and I watched the game as a child looking through a tiny hole. When the match was 1-0 on Argentines I found myself between Abel Magwitch's escape from the marshes and the immediately American leveler. When the score reached 2-1 and a magnificent game was about to take place I resigned to Victorian Prose and began the journey through the long road of Mexican-Argentine rivalry. The match was completely overwhelmed with goals, amounts of opportunities and good players.
This are my favorite games, full of opportunities, lack of defending, goals and above all spectacle. The last one that caught my attention was Tottenham 4-3 West Ham and Liverpool 3-6 Arsenal.

Rodrigo Archubi's celebration of the 1-0 was a sacrilege. There are several ways to piss off an Americanista but this one was above the board. Although I always mock on the Coapa team I realized that making fun of one of the icons of the tema i snot worth it. The fault was a complete loss of sensibility and a several threath against the Copaa organization. Cuauhtemoc Blanco, the controversial Mexican player, is the icon of Mexican football. Controversial, but above all as all Mexican with a strong sense of double-moral, made a trademark his celebration as the 'Eagle'. Archubi's celebration at the place of birth of the Mexican player, the pitch that saw him grow, so many great things and sufferings, was a complete disrespect towards the people. I really do not care if he celebrates that way in his country, the trademark belongs to Blanco and point.
I found yesterday's declaration by Raúl Arias, San Luis coach and potential Mexico manager, very awkward and disgraced. He said that the only style that was resurging was the Catenaccio, or defensive style. He guaranteed that, if reaching the place of Mexico manager, he will use that tactic. His justification was that the previous two champions, Italy and Greece used that style. Almost thirty years of footballistical theory developed by Michels and Cruyff have gone to hell if this style of game gets widespread. Mexico's impressive amount of defending quality could certainly help to get this style done, but it is dangerous and in my opinion stupid.

No comments: