Friday, August 8, 2008

Malone Dies

I have been quite impressed with many of my summer readings (The White Goddess, Selected Letters of Wilfred Owen, Atonement, The Romantic Iconography of the Sea), and now that my vacations are over I would like to comment on the best.
Samuel Beckett has a very attractive method for depicting the strange, the horrid and in some cases the primaeval. Like in "Waiting for Godot" everything seem to be rotten in Malone dies everything appears to be dead. The narrative voice transforms from what would appear to be a third person account to a pure and Joycean Stream of Consciousness.

"I see the pot, the one that is not full, it is lost
to me too. I shall doubtless be obliged to forget myself in the bed, as when I
was a baby. At least I shall not be skelped. But enough about me. You would
think I was relieved to be without my stick. I think I know how I might retrieve
it. But something occurs to me. Are they depriving me of soup on purpose to help
me die? One judges people too hastily. But in that case why feed me during my
sleep? But there is no proof they have. But if they wished to help me would it
not be more intelligent to give me poisoned soup, large quantities of poisoned
soup? Perhaps they fear an autopsy. It is obvious they see a long way ahead."

In this passage the examples are vivid. Malone or Macmann is in his death bed clearly realizing the fact that he is going to die. It is stated in the first line of the novel but the waiting of the death is what interest the reader, as in "Waiting for Godot." The wait is metaphorically taken, due to the absence of time or of things happening. Malone has lost gradually his cane, his pot, his life eventually but it is of supreme importance how the void between the mind and the physical world is reached. The mind is not in contact with the world in the stream of consciousness managed by Beckett, but it is represented in the objects that surround it.
Beckett manages this with an issue that concerns many Post-modern writers; interiorness. It appears that Malone is in a hospital with only a window, that is high above his range of vision, that restricts his perception. This perception is distorted as in "Endgame". A bunker, with only a final reach of vision that could become metaphorically the Stream of Consciousness, a devices for the "New Generation."

No comments: