Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Yeatsian Moment




I had another of my famous "Modernist Moments." This time it was a Yeatsian Moment." Today as I was going out of my Augustan literature class, I saw a girl, whom I have been thinking all day long. It was really funny and after she passed I sardonically smiled. When I was heading towards the entrance of the faculty I remembered this poem, one of my favorites and strangely not an early Yeats' poem. I took a vow a few weeks ago, I broke it and this happened:

"A Deep-sworn Vow"

Others because you did not keep
That deep-sworn vow have been friends of mine;
Yet always when I look death in the face,
When I clamber to the heights of sleep,
Or when I grow excited with wine,
Suddenly I meet your face.

Finneran, Richard J. ed. The Collected Poems of W. B. Yeats. New York: Scribner, 1996.

No comments: