Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Alexandre Pato and Miles

It has been a long time since I wanted to write about Pato Maravila, as called in Brazil, but I did not had encouragement or time. I recently read in a blog of a school friend (which actually I admire but I have not got the time to meet him as I would like) about the tremendous hype that Alexandre Pato, U-20 for Brazil, have summoned in the previous month. On contrary of my friend I have seen him since his debut in U-17, which Mr. Wenger quoted as "new paradigm in football". I think is an exaggeration, but 'Arsene knows'. I really like the kid but my hopes reside on the development of the youth as Ronaldo, not as Gilardino. Italian football tends to make players "slow". Sheva, Gillardino, Pirlo and the latest Toni and Ribéry. Pato, like this players, has everything I ask for a striker; speed, technique and vision. He has something even more interesting that is will. He moves relentlessly to and fro, he goes down to the midfield, and has one of the most impressive and polished techniques in the the young player's universe, ie. Samir Nasri. His debut in Italy is what I will call 9.9 because throwing him out the ninety minutes will have a negative impact: The people will recognize him and ask as if he were a cemented player like Kaká. Maybe 60 minutes would have been suitable. I hope he do not get well to be ready for the clash at the Grove but we will know. As Miles have quoted "a very talented prospect" indeed has arose from the never ending football promise land that is Brazil. I will recommend the reading of Roberto Gotta's article in Soccernet for more on the initial 'Pato Hype'.
Regarding International friendlies I was very pleased with England and México games. A shame that ESPN and Fox Sports do not want to spend money on rights because of the EURO 2008.
One thing to take into account is the 7-0 victory of Real Madrid in the last game. Robben seems to be in the shape of his EURO debut two years ago. I hope he is not passing through a good time because he is a must considering his potential.
I promise to write the review of USA v. México, I do not have much of a time now with MRS. Dalloway as my top priority. Private Mexican TV did not replayed Arsenal v. Blackburn, so I will not post a review about the game till the game against Man City. An excellent news: 6 point advantage on United. HAHAHA.

1 comment:

Forrester said...

Your point about his debut being 90 minutes is a good one, i didnt think about it.
I was unable to open Gotta's article.
And
I found the post 'identity' to be quite interesting