Monday, February 11, 2008

Identity


Through my entire life (19 years, haha!) I have fought against identity. Usually a person finds it maturely enough to make a retrospective and find pillars and key moments in life. One of my key moments was when I heard of Maj. Richard Winters. I heard of him when I was 12 years old. I read the three fiction books commonly seen and later watch the HBO's series Band of Brothers. This series portrayed him more vividly than the books, a case in which Seymor Chatman and Paul Ricoeur would not agree. My fanatism for military history was developed when he arrived. I considered joining the army to be like him. I just very close from going to the States with my cousin and both joining the legendary 101st Airborne division. But something kept me here. It was a message that I should stay here and become who now I am.
He was and still is my role model in life. Not my Dad, nor my Uncle, or any football player or writer has influenced me the most. I always wish that I could be a little just like him; his solidarity, care for the next one, amability and above all, his humble being. I know that in this definition I could be the antithesis of him, but in him I see reflected all my flaws, all the failure, that I wished to achieve. All the days I think of him as a mentor, An I want to be like him, little by little.
I found this two quotes the cameo of this living hero:

"I cherish the memory of something my grandson said to me the other day. He asked me, 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said, 'No, but I served in a company of heroes.'"

"Captain Sobel, you salute the rank, not the man"

Fot futher info:here

No comments: