Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Murder in the Cathedral

There are two main topics, I presume, in the soliloquy of Thomas Beckett, the Archbishop of Canterbury in Murder in the Cathedral. The Evidentia figure; the underdog respond of the Knights, and the helplesness of his justification. Read this wonderful play if you haven't, and if you have: discuss it and POST!

"Now is my way clear, now is the meaning plain:
Temptation shall not come in this kind again.
The last temptation is the greatest treason:
To do the right deed for the wrong reason.
The natural vogour in the veninal sin
Is the way in which our lives begin".(44)

"All my life they have been coming, these feet. All my life
I have waited. Death will come only when I am worthy,
And if I am worthy , there is no danger.
I have therefore only to make perfect my will".(69)

Eliot, Thomas Sterns. Murder in the Cathedral. Hartcourt: New York. 1963.

No comments: