Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Intertextuality?

Intertextuality, literary reference, hint, plagiarism, influence? Call it as you like but I found another of one thousand references that the romanticism has not died (local joke). It is a very rare and strange analogy but I have found and not other thing but a curious fact:

"Strange fits of passion have I known"
(Line 9)
Upon the moon I fixed my eye,
All over the wide lea;
With qu
ickening pace my horse drew nigh
Those paths so dear to me.

And now we reached the orchard-plot;
And, as we climbed the hill,
The sinking moon to Lucy's cot
Came near, and nearer still.

In one of those sweet dreams I slept,
Kind nature's gentlest boon!
And all the while my eyes I kept
On the descending moon.

My horse moved on: hoof after hoof
He raised, and never stopped:
When down behind the cottage roof,
At once, the bright dropped.

What fond and wayward thoughts will slide
Into a Lover's head!
"O mercy!" to myself I cried
"If Lucy should be dead!"

Wordsworth, William.
"Strange fits of passion have I known". The Norton Anthology of English Literature. Ed Stephen Greenbalt. New York: W. W. Norton.2006. 274-275.


"That was Frisco; and beautiful women standing in white doorways, waiting for their
men; and Coit Tower, and the embarcadero, and Market Street, and the elven teeming hills.
I spun around till I was dizzy; I thought I'd fall down as in a dream, clear of the precipice. Oh were is the girl I love? I thought and looked everywhere, as I had looked everywhere in the little world below."(78-79)
Kerouac, Jack. On the Road. New York: Penguin. 2003.

No comments: